Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Happy Days!

It's still May! I have a few more hours to get in a second post of the month!

We've been having a busy but fun time. The weather has finally improved, and we've been outside as much as possible. After my whining on Facebook about the Champaign Park District scheduling an awesome Touch a Truck opportunity during the day when I'm at work, I found an event in Savoy that allowed kids the opportunity to do the exact same thing. Here is a very happy Ethan climbing around a fire truck:

We also had Memorial Day off, so we made plans to meet at the park with some of Ethan's friends. Here is Nara leading Ethan to our car (sort of). Ethan was asking for her to hold his hand again when she finally let go and had to head home in her own car. :) My hope is to show him this picture again in 20 years when they're dating and planning to get married.
Ethan is also a big enough boy now that he has moved to the next classroom at daycare. You'd think he was graduating from Harvard with the way we prepped him for it. We talked about it for weeks, he went for visits to the class, and talked about all of the fun toys when I picked him up. (Apparently they have some super fun car set up where the cars go down ramps again and again. He's in heaven.) Absolutely no problems today - he pushed me out the door, took a great nap, he even tried to use the potty! Wow. A growing up boy.

He is also talking in full sentences right now. Last year at this time he wouldn't say a word. Still no pointing or waving or signing even though I was desperately trying to communicate! Some of my favorites lately are:
1. "You not funny, Mama. Just Ethan." Which of course made me laugh even more...
2. "I do not want to go to school!" Oh, sweetie, it's a little early in your life for that one.
3. And this morning's breakfast conversation:
Ethan: "I want jam."
Alexis: "On a roll or on toast?"
Ethan: "No roll. No toast. Jam."
Alexis: "Honey, we can't just eat jam by itself."
Ethan: "Jam with a spoon."
Alexis, getting a little exasperated: "No, Ethan, no jam on a spoon."
Ethan: "Yes! Yes, jam! Not no, just yes!"

1 comment:

Cynthia said...

I was just thinking today that it was sometimes better when Charlotte wasn't so verbal:) I'm a little tired of "I no want take bath/brush teeth/go to bed/sit in seat" and "No, mommy, I do it myself":)