Sunday, February 22, 2009

The First Cold

Poor little sick Ethan boy...actually, all he has is a cold, no fever or anything, but the poor guy is probably wondering what in the heck his body is doing - he's got a really junky cough, he's very congested, and his eyes are pretty watery. :(
But he's a pretty good sport! The first day he had this cough, he would hack away, and then smile. He is still pretty smiley after a sneezing fit, too - and if you think about it, it does feel good to sneeze! But he's had this thing for several days now, and I think he's getting tired of it - he is having the hardest time falling asleep unless he's upright (meaning on me in the rocker or with Brian in the Baby Bjorn) and then he can't stay asleep for too long. Surprisingly, once he does fall asleep at night, he's still sleeping pretty well. Thank goodness; I know that when I'm sick, all I want to do is sleep.

It hasn't affected his appetite at all, which is a good sign - I think that knowing this kid and his ravenous desire to eat, I'll be rushing him to the ER the moment he shows any signs of decreased hunger! And as Brian and I learned when we called the doctor (yes, we did, even for a cold), they aren't concerned unless his fever gets up to about 105! That sounds dangerously high to me, but apparently not for babies...any fever he might come down with is a good sign that his body is fighting an infection. So we're sticking with the home remedies - nasal aspirator, saline drops (he HATES those), and a humidifier that Brian shopped all over town for yesterday. We keep telling him that this is good for his white cell count, but I don't think he's listening...:)

No comments: