Monday, February 16, 2009

One week later...

And he's still doing it! The boy can fall asleep in his own - in the evening only, so far, but you won't hear Brian or me complaining. We had some crying last night, and I can hear him madly sucking on his fingers right now, but I love that he's found a way to soothe himself. We can tackle the naps later. :)

The side effect of this, which everything I've read supports, is Ethan's ability to sleep through the night. (The books are right!) Apparently now that he has the ability to fall asleep on his own, the nightly awakenings he has don't make him cry out anymore - he can put himself back to sleep most of the time. The last two nights he's been asleep from about 6:00 pm to 6:00-6:30 am. Wow. Ironically, Brian and I are still tired - we are so used to getting up in the night, Brian's been doing nightly forecasts for a winter storm project he's coordinating, and frankly I just want to check on the boy!

He's entering this golden age of babyhood, I think. :) He's making the most adorable noises (including yawns, finally, that signal when he's getting sleepy) and just seems so much happier than he was a mere 6 weeks ago. I know someone who said that if she had to make a baby doll, she would pick a 5 month old to model, because babies are just wonderful at that age. They can interact, they're playing with more things, but they're not yet moving around independently and terrifying their parents! (One of my friends has said about her little mobile son, "If it's dangerous, he wants it.")

No comments: