Sunday, October 25, 2009

Ethan Day!

In the spirit of other Joneses and Jewetts, Ethan has managed to spread his birthday out over more than one day. He celebrated it with his daycare buddies on Friday (with a taste of chocolate cake - first sugar EVER) and with his family today. And he handles being the center of attention well. :)
We had such fun today. Ethan took a great nap - he is still getting in that morning nap, but I'm beginning to see signs that it may be on its way out - and then was up and ready for food, attention, and presents. My sister, who is unbelievably moving to Santa Fe tomorrow, came by to get in some snuggle time before she moves. She also brought an adorable present! Ethan has been banging on it ever since.

You can't see from this angle (I couldn't seem to get his face and the toy in a good shot!) but this is a little piano - very sturdy, thank goodness, since he dumped it over twice in the first few minutes he was checking it out. As he banged on it relentlessly, every family member commented on his musical genius - I hope that our little prodigy is able to support his parents in the manner to which we would like to become accustomed!The cards were a little lost on Ethan, but he did make an effort. He's very interested in "open/close" these days, so he was patient with us glancing at the inside of each card before moving on to the ripping of paper off boxes and other new things to put in his mouth.
Ethan's Aunt Kim and Grammy Barbara were here to enjoy the celebration as well! We're lucky that Cincinnati is a mere 3 1/2 hours away, because they'll be able to see this boy grow up! He looks so much like a little boy, too, that we were placing bets on when he would walk. I think my mom and Barbara are betting on sometime between now and Thanksgiving, though I think chances are better for Christmas time. Mom actually wanted to test it out, and my assurances that he would fall flat on his face almost didn't deter her. I'll have to make sure my dad closely supervises any babysitting she does in the next few weeks, or Ethan will be black and blue by the time I return!
I'm afraid I don't have a cute picture of Ethan smushing a huge piece of cake in his face. He was very curious about the carrot banana muffin (go ahead and roll your eyes - but it did have icing!) that we stuck a candle in. He did eat the whole thing, and loved it! And between that, the scrambled eggs, and smushed fruit, he had the breakfast of a big boy. I just love that he's eating almost the same things that we are these days! Of course, much of that ends up on the high chair pad, on the floor, and rubbed in his hair...

1 comment:

Cynthia said...

That transition from two naps to one is a little rough. It took me about a week of hoping and wishing while Charlotte stayed awake for an entire hour (sometimes two:) before I realized that our second nap was gone :-(. We ended up just moving the afternoon nap to 11:00 am since she couldn't make it until after lunch. For the first two weeks I had to take her out someplace in the morning so she wouldn't get crabby and want to go to sleep. Good luck!