Thursday, February 18, 2010

"That was nasty!"

Tubes are in! And the surgeon who did it today reassured us that it was a good decision, saying afterwards, "That was nasty! This was a good thing to do."
I know I keep repeating this, but Ethan might be the cutest boy in the world in his little gown. I expected that he would be starving with no breakfast (I tried to give him a bottle in the middle of the night, but he wasn't having it....), but he was really great! Mostly he was just tired since his mother tried to force feed him at midnight and then he couldn't get back to sleep. (Nice going, huh?)
It really was as quick as everyone said. They wheeled him back in sleeping, and then when he woke up, he was possibly the floppiest, unhappiest little guy ever. But the nurse assured us that as soon as we headed out of the room and down the hall he would be right back to normal, and she was right!

And after we got home, he played just like he usually does, though Brian and I did a few little experiments on our child to see if he noticed the difference in his hearing. (His hearing was in the normal range, but the doctors thought it might be muffled with all of the fluid in there.) Actually, me slamming the car door set off a fresh bout of crying, so that's one thing that he's hearing more clearly. (Again, NICE GOING, Alexis!) He still won't always respond when I call his name, but that's when he's playing and I'm pretty sure he's ignoring me. :)

2 comments:

kim said...

so glad the surgery went well!! as for ignoring you while he's playing, our doctor labeled that "selective deafness."
i'm afraid it might be genetic - at least on this side of the family :(
sorry about that!
kisses to the ethan boy
auntie kim

Brian and Alexis (and Ethan) said...

Not just on your side of the family. My mom swore for years that my dad was hard of hearing. :)