Saturday, March 19, 2011

Back to Blogging

Sorry for the long absence, everyone! (All 3 of you who read this, anyway...:) I can't believe how fast March has gone. And my last post didn't even include any cute pictures of Ethan, so let's take care of that right now.

(Can you believe this haircut??? He really needed one, but I didn't have any idea that she was going after ALL of his hair until it was too late to stop her. We are not getting it cut ever ever again.)

I have to say that while Ethan is a perfectly normal 2 year old (with all that goes with that age), Brian and I are really seeing his personality develop, and it's so nice to see that he is a nice boy. From what we observe when we're with him, and hear from a variety of people (including strangers at the library!), he plays really well with other kids. He'll be assertive when he needs to, believe me - I recently heard him to tell a girl to "move" when "go, go, go" wasn't making her go go go away from where he wanted to take his train...(That was corrected to "move please" soon afterwards, Mom, don't worry. :) I do sort of cringe when he gets bitten or hit at daycare, because he is always on the receiving end of that rather than the giving, but I guess if I have to choose between the two, I don't want him being the aggressive kid.

We're doing some pretending games lately, and he has done one of the cutest things ever. I pretend to go to sleep in the living room, and he goes to get the blanket and stuffed animals out of his crib...covers me up and puts all of the animals down next to me. I love it! Sometimes now he'll lie down on top of me so we are going "night night together," and that's even better. I usually only get to "sleep" for about 9 seconds, but it's totally worth it.

He is getting so big now, though! He is not our little baby boy anymore, which makes us both proud and nostalgic. I'm so glad when my work friend Kathy talks about her teenage son and how much fun the two of them have together, because I'm so afraid that he's going to get older and want nothing to do with us! In preparing for our trip, we tried out Ethan's Pack & Play, which is the wonderful portable crib that we have used forever, and you can see that this era of travel is over:

You can see that he is appropriately contrite. (Sigh.) I guess it's better that we found this out now rather than in the middle of the night sometime somewhere, but I loved that Pack & Play!

1 comment:

Cynthia said...

I miss the pack and play, too. If you're looking for something new, there are some nice travel tents on amazon that have little inflatable mattresses in the bottom. We bought one for Charlotte, and it worked for a while, but now she hates it like the plague and I can't bear shoving her in it while zipping it shut. If you can wait until I visit, you are more than welcome to borrow it or try it out for a while to decide if you want to buy your own. Someone should get some good use out of it because we certainly are not. Just let me know:)