Sunday, January 27, 2013

Reflections on the PhD Beginnings

Two weeks in, and I haven't burst into tears yet.  :)  That's good, right?  And so far I'm keeping up with my work, which is also good.  Fingers crossed that I'll continue with all of that.  But PhD work is wayyyyy different than Master's work.  Whew!  "Read this book for next week."  Or, "Read half of this book and write a 4 page paper."  Or, "Read this chapter, read these articles, and start a blog."  Huh?!  It's all good stuff, and very interesting readings, but the sheer amount is amazing. 

With that said, I'm fitting it in so far, and am still able to spend time with my cute boys.   Ethan is still in Kung Fu class (though he is seriously the gentlest kicker and puncher alive - even when encouraged to hit hard) and I was able to take him to the Children's Museum in Bloomington on a school-free Monday this past week. 

Ethan's buddy Arlin is such a big painter, encouraged by his mom the artist, but Ethan really isn't into it so much.  This weekend we tried to draw and color, but Ethan was worried about getting things exactly right (sigh) so we decided to find someone else's drawings and have some crafty boy fun with those.
I feel like I'm enabling an addiction with this Star Wars stuff.  The kid hasn't seen the movie (way too young!) but he is already totally obsessed.  This is after Brian showed him a mask at Target, then we got him a Darth Vader costume for Christmas...and that costume is practically rags now, but he still wears it every day! 
 

No comments: