Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Time for the showers

Brian and I are truly surrounded by loving, generous people. Before that sounds a little too mushy, I have to describe the two baby showers that we've had recently. (Not that Brian attended either one - he and my dad narrowly escaped the one held at my mother's house...I'm not sure exactly what they think happens at baby showers, but it must be awful!)

My mother and sister held a shower for me on September 21. They planned for weeks, and it all went off without a hitch! The theme was children's books, so now we have an incredibly well-stocked library for this kid! Brian's mother and sister both came all the way from Ohio to join us, my college roommate Amy came from Chicago, and I even had a former student there!

Then, my coworkers held a shower for me on the 29th. Again, I was knocked over by their generosity and good wishes! I'm embarrassed to say that we have so far not bought any baby clothes for this kid - between two showers and some fantastic hand-me-downs, we have a seriously well-dressed baby already. And the games were lots of fun - my fellow grant coordinator Cynthia just had a beautiful baby girl three months ago, and she set up this fantastic game where celebrities' faces were Photoshopped onto babies' pictures - we had to guess which celebrity face went with which picture. Hard! I only got about half right...but it was absolutely worth it to see some really creepy pictures of non-babies.


Speaking of creepy, you have to check out this blog:
http://cakewrecks.blogspot.com/2008/06/naked-mohawk-baby-carrot-jockeys.html

Thank goodness my friends and family have no impulses like this!

No comments: