Sunday, December 21, 2008

We don't need no stinking schedules....

As I read a friend's blog recently, I found that someone had posted a comment to hers saying, "The babies don't read the books." Oh, isn't that so true! If Sir Ethan had read half of the websites and books that I've tried to skim through, he would know that he should be beginning to settle into some kind of pattern. He would know that he only has 3 and a half more weeks to thrill us with the hours of colic that we dance, swing, and shush him through. But I don't think he's picked up any of this literature lately, so he's doing his own thing. I did get hopeful this past week when we had three days in a row of normal baby crying and fussiness as opposed to what we had been seeing since Thanksgiving. However, he threw us for a loop, and the discomfort was back in full force this weekend - I'm sure he's just making sure that Mom and Dad don't take anything for granted!

But I can't say in any way that things are all bad. A few nights a week, he will sleep for a 4-5 hour stretch, during which I wake up just to make sure he's ok, fully expecting the "I'm hungry!" cry every 2 1/2-3 hours. During his quiet, alert, and engaging times of the day, he is amazing and learning rapidly! He's batting things around and gets really excited to be on his playmat when just a few weeks ago he got way too overwhelmed when I would put him on his back there. He's got quite the turtle neck, and we have great fun during some "tummy time" when he inches his way up my chest to look at me.

Gramma Judy has also requested other Christmas pictures for their holiday letter - the ones below were apparently not showing his true cuteness, so she came over the other day and we got even more!

What a ham...

No comments: